Recipes: Chocolate Beer Batter Cupcakes with Maple Bacon Frosting
Cupcakes are always a good idea for any occasion. So when bacon is added, they become even better. This week we’re making chocolate beer batter cupcakes with a maple bacon frosting. We’re using ‘Gansett Bock in the batter since the sweet malty caramel tones matches well with the cocoa. Top it off with a sweet and salty crunchy frosting for one delightful treat. Taste and enjoy these soon.
1 cup Narragansett Bock Beer
1 stick butter
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup chocolate chips
2 cups flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plain Chobani Greek Yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 strips bacon
1/3 cup maple syrup
8oz block cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp candied bacon drippings
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
2. In a pot or large sauce pan, simmer the beer and butter on medium until butter is completely melted.
3. Add cocoa powder and chocolate chips and stir until your mixture smooth. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
4. In a large bowl, stir eggs and yogurt together until smooth. Slowly add chocolate mixture and vanilla.
5. Add dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
6. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
7. Turn oven up to 375, and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
8. Lay your bacon strips across a baking rack and place the rack on the foil-lined baking sheet.
9. Using a pastry brush, brush each strip of bacon with a layer of maple syrup.
10. Bake for 10 minutes, basting strips again about half way into that time.
11. Flip your strips over, baste, and bake for another 10 minutes.
12. Baste your bacon one last time, and stick them back in the oven for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
13. While your cupcakes and bacon strips are cooling, start making your frosting. In a large bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth and well-incorporated.
14. Add powdered sugar, maple syrup and bacon grease. Mix until smooth.
TIP: Add more powdered sugar, as necessary, to achieve desired consistency.
15. Spoon frosting into a piping bag, and frost each cupcake.
16. Slice one piece of bacon into 1-inch strips and press one piece into each frosted cupcake.
17. Crumble/chop up the rest of the candied bacon and sprinkle them on top of the cupcakes.
Got Bock? Because we’re not washing these down with milk.